Welcome to Boyhood...Population One

Who knew raising a toddler boy who's definately all boy would be such a challenge? He's not overly hyperactive. He's just this little eddy that goes about the house exploring, messing, creating, inventing and otherwise getting into little bits of mischief. 99% of it isn't intentional misbehavior. It's just typical curious toddlerhood mixed with the high energy and hands-on desires of a boy.

He's an outdoorsmen, too. I can't keep him occupied on one thing for more than a minute in the house. If I take him outdoors, he'll occupy himself for a solid hour or more. I usually run out of outdoor chores before he's done having a grand ol' time with sticks, rocks, grass and dirt. I tease that I know he has a good time when he's tired, filthy, scratched up and poops sand.

He loves the farm. I can probably be assured that as I tend to future young'uns, he'll be occupied and well taken care of at the farm.

Raising a boy is hard and everyone says raising girls is harder! Of course, the love and joy I get in return is far greater than the hardships. If this is torture, chain me to the wall!!

In other news....I researched almond and rice milks and found that the high sugar contents of them are not recommended for young children.

I'm also enjoying Nourishing Traditions. I have one question, though. In all the examples that the author gives, she points out cultures (both current and historic) that ate diets similar to the one she's discussing. All these cultures have one thing in common. Exertion. They're all people who aren't desk jockeys and couch potatoes. Is this a reason why the higher-fat diet works so well, because it's mixed with constant daily exercise and high manual labor? Would her recommendations work on someone who spends 8-12 hours a day chained to a desk only to come home and veg out in front of the TV before slinking off to bed? Would this diet work for the average American?

Comments

Elisabeth Black said…
My husband and I were discussing saturated fats this morning, and how soluble fiber works to clear them out of the arteries. Cultures such as Fallon praises probably ate more soluble fiber than the typical American, as well, such as that found in whole grains.

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...