Dinner and Soap

I just love trying new recipes. I'm constantly recycling cookbooks in and out of my kitchen as well as tightly holding on to my favorite cookbooks. Among them are:

Joy of Cooking
Betty Crocker
Better Homes and Gardens (the 1960's edition my mom has and that I started cooking with)
Good Housekeeping
Hannah Glasse (18th century)
American Cookbook (I think it's from the 1950's)
Fanny Farmer

Those are the big ones. I have specialty ones as well ranging from Celtic Cuisine to Amish to 1940's wartime to Campbells.

Tonight's dinner hailed from the Good Housekeeping cookbook. I pulled out some boneless lean pork from the freezer and really wanted to do something different with the pork. I knew I wanted brown rice with the pork, so I had to find something to go with rice.

It was down to two recipes: The pork chops with olive cream sauce or the Sorrento Pork. I went with the Sorrento Pork because I had a funny feeling the cream sauce wouldn't come out as planned and that recipe had to be broiled. My broiler smokes and it's too hot to turn on the oven.

The Sorrento Pork was a success! Here's how I made it:

Brown your pork
Add slices of green pepper
Stir in 1 cup tomato sauce (I used some marinara I had in the fridge)
Add chopped oregano (I got mine fresh from my garden, or you can use 1/2 tsp dry)
Add 1/2 a small can sliced mushrooms, drained (or all the mushrooms if you're a mushroom fanatic)

Simmer, covered on low for 30 minutes. Top with slices of mozerella cheese and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes.

I saved the juice and had enough mushrooms and green peppers left to add to the spaghetti sauce for tomorrow's spaghetti and meatballs.

I discovered a soap I'd like to try. It's Dalan 100% olive oil soap. According to the little order pamphet I received, it's supposed to be good as a laundry soap as well as a body soap. I make my own laundry detergent using Fels Naptha soap, but I've been considering trying other soaps like Scottish Lye soap and now this Dalan soap. Hmmmm.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...