The Bible's Desperate Housewife

I've been doing a chapter by chapter study of Proverbs since the first of the year. Hence, I'm on chapter 7 today. Before I read the chapters, I pray to God that I'll have a new understanding of these verses and that He will reveal to me verses that I need. In turn, I write them and write about them in a notebook.

Chapter 7 in Proverbs is about the Wiles of a Harlot, but after reading the verses, a subtitle of "The Bible's Desperate Housewife" works.

In this chapter, a foolish young man finds himself confronted with a woman.
Verse 10 "And behold, there met him a woman with the attire of a harlot."
*Note the Bible does say she IS a harlot. It says she's attired like a harlot. We think of a harlot as a professional prostitute at the most or a smutty girl at the least. But this woman had the attire of a harlot. Do we dress in a similar manner to harlots?

Verse 11 "She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house."
*This verse struck me because it's the opposite of what a Christian woman should be. Christian women are commanded not to be loud and stubborn. We're commanded to be keepers at home (Titus 2) and that's just more than staying home.

Verse 19 "For the goodman is not at home.."
Up until this verse, I thought the harlot was a single woman who used this as her career. But now that I've gotten to verse 19, I see that she IS a wife! She tells the young man that her husband is not at home and will be away for a while.
I nearly dropped my pen when I read this! She's MARRIED! This isn't just some street harlot. This is a married woman who's husband takes care of her. After all, she has aloes and egyptian linen for the bed.

Sounds an aweful lot like a Bible-times desperate housewife to me!

But that's really not the point. The point is that we as wives do not fall into the trap and pull others down with us. Reading this, especially verse 11, convicted me to make even more sure that I look and behave like a Christian lady should and not give in to smutty dress, brazen behaviors, and tempting flirtations.

ladyscott

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...