Living Large in a Small House

I grew up in an old HUGE farmhouse. It had 11 rooms, with a huge living room, giant kitchen, and big dining room, library, 1 1/2 bathrooms, 5 bedrooms and a sitting area upstairs. It also had a garage, loft, 2 porches, and a partial basement. There were 7 of us in this house and I loved it! I believed that when I grew up, I wouldn't settle for anything other than an old large house, something colonial, victorian or a huge farmhouse. I scoffed at cottages. How could I live the way I want in a cottage.

Before my husband and I got married, we house hunted to see where our nest would be after we married. All the big houses were either too much, or needed so much work we wouldn't have been able to live in them until the work was done or they wouldn't give us an affordable mortgage for it. Time ran out and we ended up in a mobile home. I could handle that. It was only temporary until we got that big house! Then it happened....hubby decided we should buy my brother's house to help him get his big dream house. It worked. My brother moved into a large colonial farmhouse on 6 1/2 acres and hubby and I moved into his 1 story cottage on less than an acre.

Am I upset? Amazingly, no! I'm quite happy here and eagerly learning to live large in a small house! It's 900 square feet, but living in a single wide mobile home before taught me how to deal with small spaces and get large looks! It's great to economize and make things look cute and tidy. It keeps me from being materialistic and getting more and more to fill the spaces.

We will be adding on in the future, if we don't decide to move again. With the number of children we'd like to have, it would be quite difficult to fit them all in that tiny bedroom! But the house will still be small and still be a cottage. We can handle that.

I can live large in a small house. With careful furniture and color choices, keeping clutter to a minimum and expanding into outdoor living, this little house can feel big.

Many of us yearn for a simpler life. Living in this little cottage is forcing me into that and I'm glad.

ladyscott

Comments

Julie said…
Kate, I love your blog. I just am now finding time to sit down and look through it. Great job. I admire your contentedness. It gives me something to strive for. It is fun making do with what you have I am learning... verrry sloowly! :)

Love
Julie
HappyHomemaker25
Ladyscott,

Julie beat me to it but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy coming to your blog and reading the latest happenings at your cottage. Thanks for brightening my day.

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...