Lavender Sunset

I just peeked out the basement window and the eastern sky is lavender from the sunset, a beautiful shade.

It's been difficult for some time with illness after illness in the house, particularly mine. My dear daughter is getting over a viral bug that made sleeping for the occupants of Taigh Beag nearly impossible. I haven't had a good night's sleep in so long. I can't recall the last time I actually slept in my own bed! I usually end up on the floor next to the crib or on the sofa.

Leave it to God to use difficult times for His purpose. Two nights ago was perhaps the most difficult, yet in the wee hours of the morning as I cried out to Him, He responded and I haven't been the same since. I am much more relaxed. I have more patience. I'm prioritizing better. And when I do fall asleep, it's a better sleep.

God also let me know that this is just a passing phase. It's ok. Just ride it out and I'll be back on my usual schedule at a later date. I can sleep in. I can take time out. Amazingly, I'm still getting plenty done!

For example, today I slept in until 8 am after yet another night of very little sleep. The kiddos were still asleep, so I grabbed a nice hot shower and got myself ready for the day. Breakfast was leisurely and afterwards I did chores around the house and sewed the pattern shell for the regimental coat I'm making while the kiddos watched Sesame Street. Then, I decided today was a perfect day for a long walk and a picnic. Fresh air and exercise always helps the children and I sleep better. We walked up to "Tasha Tudor's" place and on the way back I found wild raspberries growing on the side of the road. I parked the stroller and we feasted! Then we stopped at the farm and had a picnic. Afterwards, I put daughter down for a nap, did some more chores and son and I weeded some of the gardens. When daughter woke from her nap, we played a bit, tided up, set the table and made a loaf of bread, home-made graham crackers, dinner, blueberry scones and home-made lemon curd. Daughter went to bed. Son and I put out the compost, brought in laundry and got him ready for bed.

It's amazing how much we can accomplish, even when we take things at a leisurely pace.

Well, I cannot sleep in tomorrow since I have an early morning appointment, so I better close this and curl up in bed with my new Cottages and Bungalows magazine and go to sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...