Reading and Recipes

Of all the subjects I can teach my children; of all the years of education before them, the most daunting task for me is teaching them to read. Reading is the foundation on which they build every other aspect of their education. Not only do I want them to learn to read and read well, but love reading and enjoy exploring books.

Now, for the recipes I promised:

Lemon Buttermilk Pie

Make a single layer pie crust, prick the bottom and bake it at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

Whisk 1 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, zest from 1/2 a lemon, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Add 4 large eggs and beat until combined. Whisk in 3 tablespoons melted butter, 3/4 teaspoon vanilla, juice from 1/2 a lemon and 1 cup buttermilk.

Pour into crust and bke for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees or until filling is se, but still jiggly in the middle.

I prefer it served chilled.

Carob No-Bake Cookies

(Now keep in mind that this isn't a definitive recipe. I kind of just cobbed together the carob no-bakes and can't remember exactly what I did, so hopefully this'll work for you.)

Mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup honey, 1/3 cup butter and 1/3 cup milk in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add vanilla, 1/2 cup peanutbutter and 2-3 tablespoons carob powder. Mix well then mix in around 2 1/4 cup oats (give or take). Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Shape, if need be. Let them cool completely then carefully transfer them to a plate and store in the fridge so they don't get gooey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...