Rock-a-Bye Baby


Sometimes, it takes an incredible amount of patience to deal with a fussy baby who refuses to fall asleep. Sometimes, those nights are rare when you can lay your baby in the crib and he falls asleep on his own. Sometimes, it seems that he's so worked up, it seems he doesn't even want you! He's exhausted, yet won't sleep.

So you pace.

And you rock.

And you hum softly.

And you feel your blood pressure rising with every wiggle and every cry coming out of that little body.

Well, I don't know about YOU, but sometimes, I really don't like dealing with that. Then, I remember that this is what I signed up for. This is what I dreamed about in my girlhood. This is what I prayed for.

And then, he falls asleep and I am overjoyed at having been a part of that; to have witnessed the peace and quietude falling over him as he gives up the fight, and falls limp and blissfully asleep in my arms. I can finally lay him down, but find myself reluctant to do so. The baby I wished I could just place in the crib and not have to rock now has me captive and I don't want to part.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...