Truth is sweet ~ Mushroom Pie

I'm in Ezekiel now as I read the Bible from Genesis to Revelations. This stood out to me this morning:

Ezekiel 2:9, 10; 3:1-3 KJV

And when I looked, behold, a hand was sent unto me; and, lo, a roll of a book was therin; And he spread it before me, and it was written within and without; and there was written therein lamentations, and mourning, and woe. Moreover, he said unto me, Son of man, eat that thous findest; eat this roll, and go speak unto the house of Israel. So I opened my mouth, and he caused me to eat that roll. And he said unto me, Son of man, cause thy belly to eat, and fill thy bowels with this roll that I give thee. then did I eat it; and it was in my mouth as honey for sweetness.

The scroll was full of "lamentations and mournings" and yet when he ate it, it was "as honey for sweetness." It struck me that no matter how unpleasant God's Truth may be at times, no matter how hard His admonitions, trials, and even His wrath, it is still sweet as honey because it is Truth and it is Goodness and it is entirely in His hands.

Now for something savory....a recipe for Mushroom Pie

Enough pastry for a top and bottom crust in an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.

Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan and add chopped onions. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are just tender. Add two packages of mushrooms (washed and sliced thickly), cover, stir occasionally. Add 1 small can of mushroom partially drained, a splash of brandy and a hearty splash of cooking sherry, dried parsley, salt, pepper and 4-5 tablespoons of flour. Blend well and cook, uncovered until thickened. Add a bit of milk or cream to make a good gravy and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and pour into the pastry lined pie plate. Top with pastry crust, crimp edges and cut slits. Bake in a 350 degree oven between 30-45 minutes (or until crust is cooked through.)

I credit a re-enacting friend of mine with this recipe. She uses baby portobellas and dried porcini mushrooms. For a more economical version, I use two boxes of fresh mushrooms from Aldi.

Comments

Mimi said…
Interesting, on my Genesis - Revelation reading last night (which I will start again when I end) I just read in Revelation the part with eating the scroll, which of course is the fulfillment of what you read.

Anyway, I'm not a mushroom fan, but enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...