Mac ~n~ cheese!

A healthier home-made macaroni and cheese really doesn't take that much longer and isn't that much harder to make than the boxed version. Here's my recipe:

Cook one 12-ounce box of whole wheat macaroni. Drain and set aside. In that same pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of white whole wheat flour, salt and pepper to taste and 1 cup of milk. Whisk until it's no longer clumpy and allow to cook, whisking occasionally until it's thick and bubbly. Reduce heat. Add 8 ounces shredded cheese, stirring in with a wooded spoon. Add 1/2 to 1 cup milk (just enough to make a thick cheese sauce) and continue stirring until all the cheese is melted. Remove from heat and add the macaroni. Blend well and serve.

I like to try different cheeses. Tonight, I made this with 4 ounces New York Cheddar and 4 ounces of Monteray Jack. I also added in some cooked ground beef and onions. Yum! Hubby also loves Swiss mac and cheese, but I couldn't find any Swiss cheese at Aldi, so I didn't make it tonight.

Happy cooking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...