More Reasons Why I Want to Homeschool...

While reading through the newspaper yesterday, I saw an editorial written by a minister of a local church imploring the local school district to stop having "mandatory" marching band practice on Sundays during the typical hours of church services. Apparently, to be a part of this marching band, students are required to not only practice during school hours, after school hours, but also on Saturday and Sunday!!

Now that school has begun, I rarely see my neighbor's daughters. They both play sports and are usually gone all day and often have games and tournaments all weekend. Some of these are hours away and some are overlapped so as soon as one game is done, they rush off 30 miles or so to the next one!! It's ridiculous! Even in my own church, I've heard people ask a parent, "Where's your son/daughter today? I hope they're not sick." And the parent answers, "No, they had [some school thing] today." (Now, 90% of the families with children in my church homeschool.)

Now, I was in drama club and we always had a Sunday show, but that was a one time deal and it was in the afternoon after church.

Another reason to homeschool.....my father was educating school groups on a field trip to a local 18th century museum. While telling true history and not "revised" history, he tried to make sure the students understood how behaviors back then should not be repeated today (such as youngsters drinking alcohol). Afterwards, when the students moved on, the teacher held back and Dad talked to the teacher about the presentation. Dad said that he tried to interject some morality in there for the students. The teacher told dad, "Oh, we don't do that. We can't impose morality on the students." WHAT!!!!!! We're not talking about specific religious beliefs. We're talking about general common sense stuff here!

Recently, I was thinking back to my own 9th and 10th grade history classes. I had the same teacher both years. I remember it was world history and she enthusiastically taught us about all the religions that were common in different parts of the world. We learned about the Tao of Pooh and colored in Ying Yangs and the points of this religion and the pillars of that religion. But, when we got to Chrisitianity, she stopped dead in her tracks. "I can't teach about Christianity," she said. I, and some other students said, "But we learned all about these other religions." She also told me that my father deserved to make minimum wage because he didn't go to college like she did. (He was drafted during the Vietnam War).

Ugh.....I am SO homeschooling!

Comments

Dawn said…
"Afterwards, when the students moved on, the teacher held back and Dad talked to the teacher about the presentation. Dad said that he tried to interject some morality in there for the students. The teacher told dad, "Oh, we don't do that. We can't impose morality on the students." WHAT!!!!!! We're not talking about specific religious beliefs. We're talking about general common sense stuff here! "

Oh my goodness...that's crazy! Of course, the last thing adults want to do is instill some MORALS in them! For crying out loud that's what they need!
Kudos goes out to your dad!

Yeah isn't it something...schools can teach all other religions except Christianity. I have heard other schools like that as well.
Talk about double standard, know what I mean.

Hubby and I planned years ago to homeschool if we ever have children and we still hold true to that promise.

Stay strong in your convictions dear one!

Bless you,
Dawn

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...