Lady with a baby!

I've noticed something recently....it's people and how they treat a lady with a baby. Bubby is usually carried around in his carseat carrier. It can be quite cumbersome and heavy at times, but I've been building up my Mommy muscles. Running errands, I spend a lot of time going in and out of buildings, some of which do not have automatic doors. At these particular buildings, I've observed two different kinds of people that remind me of the Goofus and Gallant section of Highlights Magazine:

1. Gallant: Those who not only hold the door open for me, but those who actually run to the door to make sure I make it through easily.

2. Goofus: Those who pretend they don't see me and let the door slam in my face and leave me to fiddle with it, trying not to wake the sleeping babe in the carseat carrier.

It makes me wonder why these people don't help. Is it because of the superwoman I can do it myself mentality that's been floating around for 30 or 40 years? Is it because they're afraid I might cut in front of them in the queue at the bank or post office? Or is it simply because some of us live in our own personal bubbles, not wanting to bother or be bothered by the people around us? Could it be that helping me involves forming a brief but poinient social relationship which usually involves eye contant and a spoken word? Some people are afraid of that. Is it because pay it forward is often thrown to the wayside....we help someone, they stab us in the back.

Frankly, it's not a really big deal. I don't dwell on whether or not someone opened the door for me. I've learned to be independent and not expect assistance from strangers. Though, when I do get it, it's all the more sweet and I make sure I make eye contact and say "Thank you!" Actually, more often than not, people DO assist me, and it's always a blessing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...