How does your garden grow?



I'm trying not to be green with envy this year. So many good gardening reports have been coming my way, even from first time gardeners. Then I look at my garden and feel down. Of course, I have to remind myself time and time again that gardening season came at a time when I simply could not devote proper time and effort into my space. Neither could hubby since he was working out of town at the time. Consequently, the bird, woodchucks and weeds got the better of it all.

There is still time to do fall crops. And there's always next year, which of course must be in planning now.

My plans include 3 raised beds for onions and garlic, asparagus, and strawberries. Currently, my strawberries are up in a little plot by the pond. It isn't a very good spot for them. Instead, I'm going to remove them from that plot, put them in fresh soil and compost and move the blueberry bushes to where the strawberries were. The soil is more acidic for the blueberries by the pond.

I'm also beginning to think a garden fence is in order but I'm not sure what kind. Right now the biggest varmints are the woodchucks. The deer tend to leave my garden alone since they have a whole alfalfa field and feed mill next door from which they may glean. One woodchuck was bad enough, but she had babies. Also, I believe I'm dealing with 2 families of chucks and not just one. I want my garden fence to look nice, but I also don't want to spend a gazillion dollars. I wonder if I could fashion a sort of picket fence but line the inside with chicken wire to keep out the critters. I don't believe a simple livestock fence would do the trick because the chucks already proved they can easily dig under them as they have with the fenced in (unused) goat pen down back.

My heritage raspberries died so I'd like to order more and put them in for next year. Lingonberries and possibly beach plums are my next venture.

Oh, and I need to buy netting for my elderberries so the birds don't get them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...