Non-Dairy Diet and the Colicky Infant

Last night Bubby unmistakably had colic, so I've been frantically doing research on colic. The internet isn't much help, really. Everyone has an answer, but they don't all match. However, the most oft repeated colic remedy is "eliminate dairy." (Only one website suggested that dairy isn't the culprit because milk is produced from mother's blood, not mother's digestion). So, as of today I'm eliminating dairy.

I cut back on dairy before. Well, I cut out most cheeses. This helped, but he's still gassy and last night he was horribly gassy. I thought there was no way I was going to sacrifice my milk intake. I love milk. I just bought a gallon of skim, two bags of cereal, cottage cheese, and cheesecake snack bars. Not to mention I planned a pasta bake and a calzone for dinners during the week. Then, I looked at my screaming son in my husband's arms, and I knew that cutting out dairy was a small price to pay for my son's comfort and his daddy's peace of mind.

There is another silver lining. Call it Pollyanna's glad game, but cutting out dairy should help me drop those post pregnancy pounds, too. After all, milk is in so many things, and it's usually fatty. Milk is in almost all snack foods.

So, now I'm on a quest to find good food to eat that doesn't include dairy. This is gonna be a challenge, but I'm up for it!

ladyscott

Comments

Anonymous said…
ladyscott-
Noticed your postings over at genuineprofit and thought I'd come check your blog out!

I think you may find that switching to an organic goat's milk, rice milk, or organic soy will only be a slight change in taste and may be less bothersome to the baby.

I'm sorry baby is colicky and am saying a prayer right now that your son will overcome this quickly (and that your sanity & rest will be restored)! :)
Anonymous said…
Your baby sounds just like my youngest. For the first few months she would scream from 11:00 pm till 2:30 in the morning. I think she had colic too. One thing I would suggest is when the colic seems to be really bad to try gas drops. Gerber has them, or if you want something more natural there are homeopathic ones too. If you want some more info on the brand and such feel free to e-mail me. In the mean time I will be praying for you. And it does get easier!!!
Mine is is turning 1 yr in 2 days and I get much more sleep ; )
Amity
www.homeschoolblogger.com/amatthia
amitymatthia@hotmail.com
Anonymous said…
Duh, in my previous comment I forgot to say that the gas drops helped my baby tremendously!!!

Amity
Kate said…
I've been using gas drops, but they aren't working at all on the poor little guy.

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...