BOOK REVIEW


The Frontiersman's Daughter by Laura Frantz

In typical Christian romantic fiction fashion, the book creates an angst that seems to draw in romantically starved teenage girls. It left me wanting to slap Lael upside the head and rolling my eyes at the cliches. Also, as an 18th century living historian, I was annoyed by once again, an author's lack of expertise in the area of clothing of the period.

Also, for a book marketed as a CHRISTIAN fiction, I found it a bit too risque. While some may laugh at me calling it risque, hear me out. A tangled web of romance between 3 men, mostly spurred by infatuations, the lead character sharing passionate kisses with all of them, and a near-naked evening swim with 1 of them. I guess it wouldn't bother me so much, but I know these books are devoured by impressionable teenage girls and I found it a bit much, remember my own impressionable teenage self. Granted, the lead character, Lael, wasn't saved, I still think it was a bit much.

The book drew me in and I had a hard time putting it down. I did like the frontier aspect and the simplicity of living. However, the book felt long....loooonnnngggg and ended rather abruptly, leaving some significant questions unanswered and characters suddenly dropped with little explanation.

All in all, I give the book 3 out of 5 stars. It is a fiction book and fiction books really are nothing more than a bit of fun, a pleasure, so I don't really expect outstanding historical accuracy or for them to conform to my moral comfort zone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...