Wardrobe Malfunction


It is funny how our body image works.  There I am standing in front of the mirror in my clothes for the day and wondering what is wrong with my body because things just didn't look right.  I change.  I still look odd, but deal with the outfit anyway.  Then, I get dressed for bed and my nightgown just isn't as alluring as it used to be.  What's wrong with me?!  What's the malfunction here?

I then realized the answer to my questions:  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!  I'm not malfunctioning.  My wardrobe is!

Just like in the picture above, there is nothing wrong with that little girl, but the shoes just don't fit her, so it isn't looking right.  (It's looking cute, though, something I can't say about my ill fitting wardrobe.)

Last year I had my 4th baby, so of course my body was all sorts of different.  More voluptuous.  I thought then that I'd probably wind up staying in that size, give or take a few pounds and a bra size, and started buying clothes accordingly.  The malfunction is that I'm still putting on clothes I was 10-20 pounds heavier for!  During the past 6 months, even though I haven't really exercised or dieted, something changed in my metabolism and I am back down to my former, pre-baby petiteness.  While my wardrobe flattered my post partum curves then, it swallows my petite figure now.  I pretty much need an entire wardrobe change.  Even my undergarments are baggy!

This is going to be a challenge because I'm not very good with dressing myself.  I don't really have a sense of style.  Another wardrobe malfunction I deal with is buying off the rack whatever is popular and then wondering how to alter my body so that I look good in it.  Fact is, it just doesn't flatter the figure I have!  Recently, I went through my vintage wardrobe and tried on a cute house dress.  I frowned as I looked in the mirror and asked hubby, "Why did they (women of the 40's) look cute in these and I just look like a frump!" He just simply and smartly replied, "it just isn't your style, dear."  He's right.  The length, cut and style of the dress did nothing for me.  The same goes for much of what is on the racks.  It is like I'm somewhere between junior and miss.

I have time to consider and window shop, though, since we're not in a position to afford me an entire new wardrobe.  What do you do?  Where do you shop if you are petite, but not junior-ish, but not matronly, either?

Maybe I could win a shopping spree to Mod Cloth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...