A Fine Highland Weekend

The cold, the rain and the high winds all contributed to the authenticity of the weekend. We went to the Battle of Culloden re-enactment. For those who aren't familiar, in the first half of the 18th century, Scotland was divided by who was the rightful ruler. The Jacobites believed James Stuart was. James Stuart sent his son, Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) to raise up support to take back the throne. The Battle of Culloden was a turning point in the war where the Jacobites were massacred.

Saturday was the best day. I was invited to attend a tea given by the Dowager Lady MacIntosh in honor of His Royal Highness Charles Edward Stuart. I was able to personally meet His Royal Highness. As I curtsied, he took my hand and kissed it. When I told my son that the Prince kissed my hand, my son protested and kissed my hand until he was sure he overruled the Prince's kiss. Then, he kissed my other hand just to be sure. :)

Just outside the door to the tea room, the highlanders gathered for some highland games. There was some excellent caber tossing going on. I watched only a while because help was needed for dinner preparations. It was announced that His Royal Highness was joining us for dinner!

Dinner was an immense feast that included:

Beef loin
Ham
Bangers and Mash (sausaged and mashed potatoes)
Salmon
Peas
Beans
Oxtail Stew
Meat pie
Onion Pie
Breads
Fruit Pies
Brandied cherries
Rhubarb Fool
Rum balls
Oatcakes
Shortbread

We had so much food that we had enough to feed the Prince's guards as well and still had plenty of leftovers!

Unfortunately, the weather became quite foul with high winds and a cold front. We did not sleep Saturday night and spent the night on watch making sure the children were warm enough and the tents did not collapse. Thankfully, the tents stayed upright and the children stayed warm and slept through the hubbub. The storm lessened enough for hubby and I to catch a few winks before morning. When morning did arrive, it was 34 degrees out (for those who are used to celsius, that's just 2 degrees above freezing!) 34 degrees with no heat, and a windchill in the 20's. I put on every bit of wool I had and confined my daughter to her Peapod (a modern amenity for her safety and security) and my son was wise enough to stay in bed under the covers. The Peapod holds body heat very well, so my little girl stayed warm in there. Later, I had my mother come and take them to her house. The winds were relentless.

I was happy to return home, but like every other crazy re-enactor out there, I can't wait until the next event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...