Banana Cake


Thanks to Suzanne at Not Quite Donna Reed, I was inspired to start making my own cakes again and putting my glass cake stand to use. I used a recipe in my 1956 The American Peoples Cookbook for banana cake and banana frosting, but as I tend to do, I altered it.

I put in my food processor:

1 cup whole raw almonds (whirr the processor until the almonds turn into an almond flour)
1 cup arrowroot flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla
2 brown-skinned bananas (removed from their peel, of course)
1/2 cup real maple syrup
tbsp. molasses
2 eggs
1/4 cup plain full-fat yogurt (I didn't have buttermilk on hand)

Blend it all well and I baked it in a cake pan at 350 degrees for I don't recall how long. I tend to ignore the clock and go by smell. I don't know how I do it, but when it smells done to me it usually is.

For the frosting:

Put in food processor:

1 brown-flecked banana
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup butter

Now here is where I really fudged it. I only had a little confectioners sugar. I didn't measure it, but I think it was about 1/2 cup. The recipe called for over 3 cups of the stuff. So I added in some plain white sugar, the last of my arrowroot flour, some white whole wheat flour and a little corn starch (and 2 drops yellow food coloring) and that seemed to thicken it up without making it too sickly sweet. Next time I make frosting I'm cutting the confectioner's sugar in half and replacing it with arrowroot flour to see how it comes out!

The frosting was still a bit runny, but quite tasty and usable. Because of this I didn't bother frosting the sides of the cake but just made the top look sort of like a slice of banana.

To be honest, I'm not a very good cake decorator. My brother is amazing! He made a birthday cake that looked just like the Rocket from Little Einsteins! For the antenna on the top he used a cherry blowpop lollipop!

Anyhow, Suzanne, you asked me to post a picture of the cake, and here it is!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh this is a cake that I could eat :)

Thank you for sharing.

May Our Lord bless you & keep you,

Maria
Suzanne said…
Kate, it looks yummy! I have an addiction to banana's! My Dad called me banana's growing up because it was the only fruit I would eat:-) I hadn't thought of a banana frosting--on my list to try! Thanks.
MamaBirdEmma said…
How are you doing, Kate? Haven't heard from you in awhile and am hoping that you are okay!

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...