Violence, Taking Gardening Seriously

I had a thought today.....Hollywood touts that they are against violence, particularly the violence in Iraq. Yet, Hollywood continually churns out very violent movies. I'm not talking about historical movies like Band of Brothers and Master and Commander. I don't believe in watered-down history. I'm talking about blood and guts horror movies, movies with mindless violence, the "coolness" of gang violence/street violence.... The good guy doesn't always win anymore. And most of the time you're not even sure who the good guy is. Or the good guy is a bad guy who's fighting another bad guy.

What goes in must come out. The Bible says "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." There have been scientific and sociological studies about violence reaping violence. Of course, Hollywood alone isn't responsible for how people act. We are responsible for how WE act. However, perhaps if the anti-violence Hollywood practiced what they preached, there might not be so much violence.....

PS...I'm not a pacifist. I believe in fighting back when necessary.

On a lighter note....I'm taking gardening very seriously this year. Something tells me that I'm going to need as much produce as I can...well...produce. With the California crops ruined, weird weather everywhere, and rising prices on everything, that little garden of mine is going to be a real blessing. Even last year, my husband was after me to do as much as I could with my little garden patch. I was bogged down with a new baby and gave into my laziness, so much of it went to waste. Well, not this year.

I'm planning a 13' by 26' garden. I'm going to plant as much as I can in it without crowding. Beans, squashes, cukes, tomatoes, sweet peppers, carrots, parsnips, peas, turnips, early greens, perhaps onions and huckleberries. In the hedgerow, I've cleared a spot for pumpkins and gourds to sell in the fall.

I'm also redoing my strawberry patch and hubby wants an asparagus patch. I'd also like to find a spot for bush cherries, blueberries, currants, and rhubarb.

Comments

I'm with you on the whole Hollywood thing. Even worse is when I find myself "pulling for" the bad guy. How terrible is that?
Anonymous said…
I have had some of the same thoughts on gardening. We have a nice 700 sq. ft. garden that did pretty well last year. A rather large tree was blocking a lot of sun, my hubby cut it down a few weeks ago...hopefully this means the garden will do even better.
We have a strawberry patch...Raspberry and Bluberry bushes, they grow quite well right alongside the house.
I'm already planning out the vegetable garden, and have put in 2 seed orders.
My fingers are itching to grow some stuff...and it's only January!
Anonymous said…
I can see where you are coming from with this. My thing, is I dont understand how people say they are against abortion (as in the killing of another person) but support wars etc....killing is killing.
Anonymous said…
There is nothing better than dreaming about a garden in the dead of winter.
Have you looked at the Martha Stewart Gardening book? - probably at your library and so inspiring.

Not that martha does her own gardening, of course . . .

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...