Focus: Curb Appeal

 


Art by Tasha Tudor

Spring always tempts me to the open spaces of my back yard that I can fill with seeds, seedlings, and plants.  The little homesteader in me wants food and flower growing abundantly in the sunny areas behind my house.  Of course, I never intend to neglect the front, and I usually do throw in some excellent plantings when the weeds are few in the spring.  However, the demands of tending the large gardens in the back take away from the ones people see first.

The new busy days of my life, with work and business, homeschool and home repairs, provides me with little time to devote to my gardening obsession hobby.  I MUST plan and focus for this coming spring.

I decided to focus on curb appeal, not just for the benefit of first impressions, but because it is overall beneficial:

1.  It'll exercise my gardening creativity.  The spaces are unique.  I have to think outside the box.

2.  It'll exercise my gardening education.  The spaces are unique.  I have to find out how to work with them.

3.  It'll add to our equity.  Curb appeal is important to adding to the overall appearance and value of a home.  

4.  It'll boost the neighborhood.  We have a lot of people who walk by, despite being a country road with no sidewalks.  Having a beautiful front yard blesses and encourages the neighbors.  There's a house around the corner with gorgeous old-fashioned curb appeal.  They have a mature garden that always has something in bloom from spring to fall.  I intentionally take walks that way just to look at their garden.  It is inspiring and stress-relieving to walk past it.

I live in a cottage, which is a wonderful thing!  It means I can use many natural materials and native plants.  I can form organic flow to borders and look at little haphazard because that is what a cottage garden is!  I don't have to worry about perfection and it will look beautiful!  

A cottage garden looks like the cottage is so welcoming that all the plants have just gathered and moved in to enjoy its company.  That is my goal and focus for 2021.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...