Remember All the Good Little Things


I have a confession to make.  My husband doesn't buy me flowers and I would love him to.  I admit that my bottom lip sticks out a little every time I read a facebook status update from a friend who's husband surprised her with a bouquet at home or at work, in person or sent in.  It is something I would like.  It would warm the cockles of my heart to know that my beloved went out of his way and comfort zone and MO to actually go out and get me a "just because" bouquet.  But, I don't really expect or require it of him because its not his way.

So, as those facebook status updates appear on my computer screen, I have a choice.  I can either let the bottom lip stick out, start to quiver and grow into some whiny bitterness about "if he truly loved me...." blah blah blah.  Or I can remember all those good little things he does for me besides:

He did bring me flowers once.  I had just had a devastating miscarriage and he had to return to work.  While at work in the woods, he found the most beautiful, fragrant wild roses!  He picked a couple for me and brought them home for me.  I cherished those roses more than I think even he realizes.

He loves to buy me vintage clothing and satin night gowns.

He knows I love to take sermon notes and journal, so he buys me nice journals to write in rather than school notebooks.

He got me a MOM mug that says, "There's a reason your name is "wow" upside down!"

He compliments me and praises me to other people.  Just about everyone I meet tells me how many great things he says about me.  I had one woman even say, "I wish my husband had such nice things to say about me!"

He protects my modesty and the sacredness of our marriage by not showing off pictures of me (headshots or church clothes pictures, yes, but not anything he thinks might cause a worldly coworker to think of me in a way he shouldn't).  Nor does he talk about or brag about our intimate life with coworkers.

He bought me "push presents" for every baby I've given him,

He made sure I had a garden this year even though he knew I wouldn't be able to take care of it!  LOL!  He was away a lot so he couldn't take care of it either, but he knew how important it was for me to have a garden.

He builds things for my whims, like the stone wall at our property line and the fenced in area for the ducks.

Would I trade any of that for commercialized flowers that don't even smell nice?  No!

The moral of the story is before your dwell on the one thing you don't have, remember all the glorious things you do have!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...