Natural or Conventional Healing


It was bound to happen.

With 4 children taking turns catching every bug that swarm around the classrooms, my poor immune system was bound to fall victim, even with diligence.

With so many wonderful academic upsides to the children entering public school this year, this is one of the downfalls.  They have caught germs never caught before.  Strep throat, impetigo...

Strep throat is the one that claimed me.

I suspected as much and started hammering the germ with my natural remedies, as described in this letter to Mrs. Rothwood.
I also researched Dr. Google on strep throat since we've never had it before.  Natural remedy articles are quick to demonize antibiotics and encourage sticking it out to build natural immunity.

Conventional articles are quick to scare you with threats of worse diseases possible with untreated strep.

I used to be fully intent on doing every crunchy thing possible when ill.
I still am to some extent.

But, I am no fool.

And I give you permission to not feel pulled either way.  (Not that you need my permission in the least, but sometimes it is nice to join the few in the middle and be assured).

I read the articles and decided to meet natural and conventional in the middle. 

I started with natural.  They weren't working.  After two days, I feel worse.  Then, I read that if left untreated by antibiotics, strep can be contagious for 2-3 weeks AFTER symptoms go away.  This was the clincher.  I have an immuno-compromised husband to consider. (Not an STD, for those wondering, and for trolls looking for fodder).  But, with antibiotics, he will be safe to live with me after a couple of days.  Thankfully, he is currently away on business, and away from my germy self.

The doctor also told me that I could reinfect my children if I do not take the antibiotics.  I agreed with her to take them.

Natural remedies sometimes work and sometimes work very very well.  I fully believe in utilizing them, but we must be wise.  There is a reason conventional medicines have come about.  Sometimes natural remedies aren't enough.

The best we can do is go with our guts and ignore the shouting from either corner.

I look forward to feeling better, soon.

And, yes, I have a really good probiotic.

Comments

Kim said…
You're a wise woman! I agree. Sometimes natural methods aren't enough. When they are, great! But sometimes we need to give our bodies a bit of a boost. I went through whooping cough early this year, despite getting a booster 2 years ago (did you know you can get it even if vaccinated? It was news to me). But it wasn't until 9 weeks after it started that I went to get help. I had no idea I was that sick. Just thought it was another bout of bronchitis. Had I gone in early, I might not have had to suffer for so long. Live and learn, right?
waoo nice post about Natural or Conventional Healing

Thanks,

Mcx Tips Free Trial

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...