Restoring My Gut Health: Why Raw Milk


Usually, when someone has gut health issues, the first thing doctors tell them to do is cut out dairy and gluten.  Typically, that's wise advise, but I have found restoration with raw milk.

Raw milk is milk that is fresh from the cow and doesn't go through any treatments (except perhaps filtering).  It is the milk that calves get, not the milk sitting on grocery store shelves.  Therefore, it is chock full of the all the vitamins, minerals, digestive enzymes, etc that nourish the body.  It is, by nature, a healing elixir.

It is also a liquid, which is easier to digest than solid foods in a troubled digestive system.  Of course, this only works if your body handles dairy well, even when the guts are off.  Thankfully, mine does.  It acts like a newborn receiving mother's milk.

Where I live, it isn't too expensive and fairly easily accessible from a state-certified raw milk farm.  It's also just easy.  Reducing stress is very important in restoring gut health.  Not spending much brain energy or time planning gut-restoration meals or broths really reduces my health.  Hungry?  Just pour a glass of milk!

Now, my body has tricked my brain, recently, into thinking it needs to eat ALL.THE.TIME.  I believe this is the result of a leaky gut or sluggish gut that isn't able to absorb the nutrients from the food I do digest.  This leaves my cell structures starving for nutrition (lowers immune system and contributes to so many symptoms) and they tell my brain to trigger my hunger response so I eat foods to gather more nutrition.  Unfortunately, this goes haywire, and I end up just wanting quick-fix junk rather than nutritious foods.  Therefore, the first few days of raw milk drinking may mean an angry stomach begging for food.  I'm not going to worry about weight gain right now.  I'll feed the beast with small sips throughout the day, even if it means drinking more milk than I ought to, and tapering off to the portion I ought to have as the days go on.  Luckily, I'll be very busy the next few days, physically busy, so hopefully that'll stave off any weight gain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...