Cottage Kitchen Make-Over Step 1

Now, keep in mind that this isn't going to be a Pinterest/Instagram-worthy display or renovation.  I would LOVE to be all financed and sponsored to turn my humble cottage kitchen into a showpiece, but that's not where I am.  This is AUTHENTIC cottagecore, after all.  That means I really do live in a country cottage, living a humble, rural lifestyle.  This is more about function than aesthetic.

A little backstory:

In my kitchen, the cabinets, countertops, and backsplash are original 1950.  The countertops are a blue boomerang atomic pattern with stainless steel trim.  Very mid-century.  Between having to work with that, and my love for the mid-century era, I decided to turn my kitchen into a kitschy 50's, cherry-patriotic-themed vibe.  The blue of the walls matches the darker blue boomerangs on my counters.  The aesthetic has been fun and cute, complete with original 1950s tube radio, and retro small appliances.

I still like the mid-century era, but I feel like I'm growing up out of the kitsch.  The kitchen is getting tired and worn as any remodel does after a decade or so.

Originally, I planned an entire remodel.  I wanted the kitchen gutted and completely done over.  However, there are other, more pressing updates needed to our cottage, such as new windows and siding.  Plus, my lease will be up and I have to purchase a new vehicle soon, and we're trying to pay off our medical-related debts.  So, I am stuck with the worn 1950s cabinets and crazy kitschy boomerang countertops and backsplash.  But, I think I can make it work.

Here's the before:


As you can see, my kitchen was truly messy since I was in the middle of several projects.  Step 1 was already under way.  I removed the pictures and recipes pinned to the cabinets and cleaned them well with a magic eraser.  You can't tell from the photo, but there's a lot of yellowing, chipping, scraped-off enamel, and some rusting on these old puppies.  I'm hoping to figure out the best way to repaint them DIY.  Otherwise, I was told they have to be ripped out, sent to an auto painter, stripped and re-enameled, then reinstalled.  I can't do that.

I've noticed that when I get the angst to go crazy redoing a room, I often find that just a deep cleaning helps satiate that urge.  Doing the cabinet fronts was a boon, but I still want to redo the room.  I want to gather it together, better.  Even clean, it feels cluttered.  It's a small room, a galley kitchen, and our main-used entrance.  I spend most of my time in this room and I really want it to be a peaceful workspace for me.

Step 2:  Declutter

Comments

Kim said…
I appreciate your authenticity. Those Pinterest-worthy kitchens are nice, but I bet they hardly ever cook in them! My kitchen looks used! I'd rather see a pretty REAL kitchen any day! Looking forward to seeing what you do to your kitchen. Little things add up!

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...