The Next Ten Years

As I minimize and declutter our stuff, and face my husband's chronic illness, I really have to think realistically concerning our next 10 years.  I can have hopes, dreams, and goals, but, fact is, life is very uncertain.  Even so, the next 10 years will be heavily focused on the children's education, paying off our debt (mortgage and medical-related), fixing up our little house for our elder years, building our business, and planning for hubby's early retirement.  He can retire at age 55 at a reduce pension.  Between his life-long hard labor work and chronic illness, we believe he's going to have to retire ASAP instead of holding out another 5 years to get his full pension. 

In the meantime, I will likely have to work part-time to help fill in gaps and pay down the debts.  Life will be busy and family-focused.  So, I am purging many things that will not contribute to a busy modern life for the next 10 years.  That means many of my cute vintage gizmos and gadgets, décor and other such things that are more hindrance than help in my busy life are leaving.  

Looking back into the past 10 years I've also seen how I've managed the lean times and busy times of the past, and how I have not used much of the stuff I held on to "just in case."  All that is leaving.  Additionally, I realized that it is extremely difficult to make a lucrative income on at-home, homemade goods.  Those charming hobby businesses are out the door, too.  My children are old enough to watch themselves for a few hours while I could make better, faster, and easier money outside the home.  

I'm sticking to the knowns, the basics, the tried-and-true.  For example, we aren't a bean family.  I got rid of all of our dried beans.  Any beans I do need I use from a can, anyway.  I've found that clearance hoards and fancy ingredient stock-ups go to waste and I end up spending money on them instead of saving.  No, it isn't better to buy the box of tea we don't really like just because it is on sale for $1.00, instead of spending $4.00 on the box of tea we love.  What happens is I end up buying the box of tea we love, anyway, and the $1.00 box rots in the pantry until I throw it away.

I would love to organize a different future, but that is unfair and unrealistic.  I can't cultivate the lives of 5 other people to suit my style.  Instead, I can find what will work best for the family as a whole, help achieve long-term goals and well-being, and allow for some empty space that I can fill with my own leisure.  
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...