Pen Clutter

I hate pen clutter. And I hate cheap pen clutter even more. This is another throwback to my childhood. In the spirit of household frugality, if cheap or free pens could be had, they were taken. Another thing to remember is our baby boomer parents grew up in an era where you had to purchase things and they were a little harder to come by. By the time they were adults, cheap mass production was growing at a breakneck speed and "freebies" became great ways to advertise and promote. Of course they took the free stuff! It was easy, and free and saved them some jingle and time going to the store to purchase it. By the 1990s, it was coming in in abundance and the habit was set. Going through my own children's things, I have found piles of cheap, free little bits and bobs they've gotten from stores, parties, parades, fairs, school, church, holidays, restaurants, and giveaways. Handfuls of erasers and pencil sharpeners. Crayons, little cheap toys, pencils, tiny notebooks, lanyards, bags, stencils.... The adult version is pens. I decided to get rid of our pens and just stick with a few higher quality ones in strategic places, like near the calendar, and in my desk. My husband appreciates finding a pen right away when he needs one, which is usually when he is on the phone and needs to take a messages. I over-compensated by filling a pail near the calendar/memo area (next to where we had a wall phone pre-cell-phone days). Now, we have an over-stuffed explosion of cheap pens that creates nearly as much stress and not finding a pen at all. And I hate cheap pens. The feel, the smell, the drag and messy handwriting. I loathe them. I hate those pens that are heavy to give the illusion of quality when really it is just excess weight and fancy covering on mediocre ink. Clutter. All clutter. I am not so income-struggling to have to hold onto free pens because I have to choose between milk and a pen. (Yes, I actually was at such a point before.) So, away with pen clutter. It's back to school season, so if I do need to purchase a couple of nice pens, I am sure to find a deal. Cheap pencils are gone, too. I purchased a box of Ticonderoga pencils to be rationed out. Plain, simple, high quality. No more of these novelty pencils with cheap graphite, splintering woods, and plastic coatings. My children aren't fond of crayons, either, so I can get rid of those. I'll keep a fresh box of colored pencils and markers, instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...