The Psychology of Clutter, Decor, and Accessories


Well with My Soul Mug
 

For Christmas I got a Keurig K-Duo!  It was the perfect upgrade for my family.  My daughter and I love flavored coffees, but my husband can only have regular coffee due to allergies.  Only regular coffee goes through the carafe, but my daughter and I can enjoy flavored K-cups, like Starbucks Veranda Blend.  My husband was impressed with the quality of brew the Keurig makes, too! 

Once I figured out where to set it in my little cottage kitchen, I was tempted to hop online and search out nifty accessories to go with it, but I really didn't want to clutter up my already small kitchen with more things on surfaces.  So many people I know have those neat carousels and drawers for their coffee pods and if that works for them, I'm very happy!  They do look very nice at a home coffee bar!

It got me thinking, though, about clutter, decor, accessories and the psychology behind them.  Keep in mind that I grew up during the consumeristic 80s and 90s.  These were decades of mass marketing and the latest fads.  It was all about displaying what you could afford.  If you bought anything, you made sure others could see it.  If you went anywhere, you had a souvenier to display.  Remember VHS and DVDs and how people bought special media cases to display them in?  

A part of me still retains this mindset, especially as compensation for living under more modest means and thus not being able to be a part of this consumeristic culture.  But, I know that it is neither sustainable nor blissful.  In fact, it is stressful.  

I quickly understood that for me an adorable k-cup carousel was unnecessary.  I do not need to display my fancy collection of flavors.  They have a home in a drawer that contains my other coffee products.  It wasn't practical for me.  

Mindful decorating and wise purchasing of items that actually are helpful and benefit the bliss of your home is the way of this decade.  It's about creating a haven for ourselves and not a museum of our consumerism.  I'm glad to see that so many younger wives and mothers have adopted this wisdom.  In fact, I get most of my inspiration from them!  If an item or fad works for your home and adds to the benefits, by all means!  However, I love that we all have permission to look past fast consumerism and fads and really consider what makes our homes home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...