My Theme for My Children for 2021

Be the Better Person

No, it isn't "be the best." That's not typically helpful and can often leave others harmed in your wake.

This isn't about being the person who wins the race. This is about being the person who helps another person cross the finish line.

When a group of kids are teasing another, don't join in on the teasing at the very least. Put in the effort to stop the teasing.

When everyone is sharing dirty jokes, be the one who doesn't laugh, but shares a funny clean joke, instead.

When everyone is talking badly about someone else, be the one who says, "I don't know. I always thought he was smart/funny/clever/nice." Or "I like Mrs. Kane. She's a good teacher, and fair, too."

When everyone is calling the President horrible names (Trump or Biden), be the one who calls them by their proper title.

When everyone is swearing, be the one who doesn't.

When the people in the store are being grumpy with the workers, be the one who is kind and friendly.

When everyone else is being lazy and not getting the work done, be the one who does your job.

Assess the group dynamics and the situation and think how you can be/do better than the status quo.

I've noticed throughout the decades that there are people, perhaps many people, who actually don't want to join in the lowest common denominator but fear being the odd one out if they don't conform. What they need is a leader, someone to, in a way, give them permission to be a better person.

The other issue I notice, today, is that people try to be a leader and create change by being controlling, bossy, judgemental, and telling people what they should do. That's not what I want my children to do. I just want them to be. It doesn't have to be preachy or judgey. It can just be...kind, well, nice, good.

I'll be honest, it's going to be a challenge. My kiddos have picked up on and adopted some pretty bad social habits that are sad to witness. I'll have to watch myself like a hawk because I am sure I slip up terribly. Even so, our mistakes are learning opportunities. My prayers are that my children are open to this, even in the face of terrible influence and peer pressure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...