Fitness After 40: Any Progress?



Now that I am 40 years old, I have stopped chuckling at my predecessors who warned me that everything changes.  Certainly not!  They just didn't keep themselves up, I would reason.  But, as is usually the case, I am eating my words.

In my 20s and 30s I could get fairly fit without too much effort, and it would stick.  At 40, a good stretching routine on Monday would be undone by Tuesday morning and I feel like I am stretching myself out for the first time.  I'm also noticing that I cannot grow in strength and repetition as quickly as I used to.  In my early 30s I managed to go from a couple of modified push ups to 25 full-plank pushups within a month.  At 40, after a solid month of moving from plank to slow drop to the floor and I still cannot push myself back up!

Light-headedness and nausea plagues me if I work out too hard.  I've had to limit myself to my stretching-pilates routine and walking workouts.  Sometimes, I can hit the exercise bike, but at a leisurely cruise pace rather than a Pelaton commercial-style push.  

And then there's the weight gain.  I normally gain a few pounds over the winter, no big deal, but it gets harder to shed, now.  

It's frustrating not being able to strengthen as fast as I'd like to.  It's frustrating that my body has more challenges to work around.  But, the important thing is that I keep moving.  I don't have fitness goals right now beyond just staying active, sticking to my routines, and keeping my body stretched and lubricated.  

The gains are slow, very very slow.  But, even if the only gain is just keeping on, that's still a plus.

 

Comments

Troy Able said…
My first symptoms of ALS occurred in 2011, but was diagnosed in 2013. I had severe symptoms ranging from shortness of breath, balance problems, couldn't walk without a walker or a power chair, i had difficulty swallowing and fatigue. I was given medications which helped but only for a short burst of time, then I decided to try alternative measures and began on ALS Formula treatment from Dr Oso herbal center, It has made a tremendous difference for me via email: drosohaberhome@gmail.com  . I had improved walking balance, increased appetite, muscle strength, improved eyesight and others. DR oso treatment is the best treatment ever,  please try and contact him for any kind of virus or disease .  

Email} drosohaberhome@gmail.com

WhatsApp /call +2348162084839

https://sites.google.com/view/drosohaberhome/

His blog pagehttps://drosohaberhome.blogspot.com

you can also email me for more information about DR oso via troyabl100@gmail.com ALL THANK TO DR OSO .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I purchased herpes herbal medicine and received it within 7 days and used it as prescribed, I tested negative within 3 weeks use, do not loose hope to contact him early If you need help meet him on his email address drubarlohome@gmail.com or Whatsapp number +2348119508814

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...