Purging Even the Joy-Bringers

As I whittle more and more out of my house, I find I am actually able to get rid of some things that do bring me joy. I'll talk about two in particular: The first is this beautiful dark red bookcase with lower cabinet I got at Target on clearance for a steal years ago. I remember that day. There were two left and only around $35!! I called my sister and we both bought one. We set them up in our respective houses and loved them ever since. A year or two ago, my sister told me that if I ever wished to part with mine, she'd take it because she'd like to flank her dining room windows and put a window seat between. I loved the idea and told her if she ever spots a similar bookcase, I may consider a trade. Time passed, and try as we might, we never found a suitable bookcase. I loved how mine looked in my house and served its purpose, so I held on to it. My sister never metioned it again, but I knew it would make her so very happy to have it. I kept searching for a bookcase (under $50) to replace it, but pretty much gave up hope. As I purged my house in August, I noticed I had empty spaces. In fact, I had enough empty space to move around what I was keeping and completely empty the beloved red bookcase. I spent a day rearranging the living room and moved the red bookcase out completely. I found I loved how I redid the living room and didn't even miss the bookcase. My sister was very happy to receive the text from me that she could have my red bookcase and move ahead with her project!! In due time, too, because she decided to homeschool her children this year and will need room for books and reading. The second item is a charming old Italian platter I purchased at an estate sale last year. It is an antiqued parchment color with scrolling edge and sweet wild strawberries painted on it. When I created my hutch top cabinet, I displayed the platter on the top shelf, and it looked very nice. However, I needed the real estate of that shelf for other dishware I actually do use in meal service. The Italian platter is merely artwork. It had to go. I didn't have a home for it. Again, ultimately, it ends up being a case of not missing it once I get the final placement of things. I rather enjoy the aesthetic of my useful things becoming the decor rather than packing my useful things away, shoved in clutter cabinets, and leaving the useless things out as decor and artwork just because they are pretty. My house is simply too small for it. Cottages of old wouldn't have had useless decor. That's what was charming about them. They were a pleasing collection of the useful, the patchwork, the make-do. Function, yet cozy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...