Decision Fatigue and the Need to Minimize

I was in bed staring at the bookcase on the opposite wall. Along the side were necklaces 3 to 4 deep on hooks, well organized, but annoying me. I got up and opened my jewelry case that my husband got me for Christmas last year. Inside, rows and rows of earrings were neatly arranged and I looked at them with disdain and grabbed the same pair I typically wear. Jewelry is supposed to make us feel good and pretty. Instead, I didn't even bother with it, except for earrings to maintain my piercings. Why couldn't I get my act together to wear any of the pretty jewelry I owned? It actually took several weeks to figure out. It's called "decision fatigue." I had SO MUCH jewelry that it was an added chore just to go through it and pair it with outfits. I also realized that as I work on minimizing and being more intentional with my wardrobe, many pieces of jewelry I owned simply didn't go with what I had left. I kept anything heirloom or precious, of course, but 98% of my jewelry is costume, anyway. Most of it was purchased through garage sale, given to me as hand-me-downs, or fun finds through Paparazzi. I actually found it easy to get rid of HALF (Yes, half!!!) of my jewelry. No more hooks draped with necklaces down the side of my bookcase. No more rows upon rows of earrings. My next step is to be intentional about my jewelry usage, and by next summer when I do Onion Layer Two (The Minimal Mom on YouTube), I will know what other pieces I can get rid of because I never bothered to wear them. The jewelry went to a family member who is taking this fall and winter season to dabble in repurposing jewelry. I was only too happy to donate my items to her hobby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...