Corona Diaries Day Three: What Our Homeschooling Looks Like


It is a daunting task to organize and execute your child's education.

Keep in mind that I am a veteran homeschooler and I am not working full time at home, too.  Your homeschooling will look different than mine.  This is just how I'm doing it.  You may glean from it, or you may not.  

My oldest is homeschooled.  My other 3 are public schooled, and are currently home due to the coronavirus mandates.  While the school is offering resource packets, I decided to use this time to fill in gaps my children have developed.  We're working on key points they struggle with in public school. 

Child A:  Spelling and reading, hand motor skills exercises, cursive, grade level math practice, practical math:  telling time and counting money

Child B:  Handwriting, hand motor skills exercises, he's my most academic child, so I'm mostly continuing grade level practice work from grade level supplementary workbooks.

Child C:  Math and reading comprehension.  Currently, I am filling in practical math gaps that she has.  She's working on telling time on analog clocks.  Afterwards, we'll work on multi level word problems.  

Child D:  Continuing with our normal homeschool curriculum.

I'm also adding in science, history/geography, music, visual arts, practical arts, and physical ed/health.  These I am keeping simple.  There are plenty of printouts available online.  Plenty of documentaries and TV shows.  We have lots of non-fiction books, and several instruments. Thankfully, we live in the country, so they get outside a lot for physical education.  

These times also opens up discussions about the homefront during the world wars.  We also discuss the Great Depression and how it is important to not waste food and products, think of alternatives, and stay positive, engaged, mindful, and creative.  Taking this proactive approach has helped my kiddos not feel anxious.  It gives them direction, purpose, a can-do attitude.  

Our days:

Because my oldest's homeschooling is NOT under the Governor's mandates and lifted attendance requirements, I have to continue normally.  Thus, I work around his routine the best I can.  The others do their work that I prepared for them.  Once I am done with my oldest, I dedicate time to each child who needs one-on-one.  It is a juggling act, and it does take a lot of time.  Plus, I am feeling that total lack of marker boards.  I can see why one room schoolhouse walls were wrapped in chalkboards.

Our materials:

I have loads of resources already on hand, so I pull from that stash, but I also use printables that I Google.  There's so much online!  If you're looking for a more long-term workbook, look up Spectrum workbooks, or BrainQuest books.

I know we are all concerned that our children don't fall behind, especially those who struggle in school to begin with.  The most important thing is that they are safe, loved, and doing something to keep their minds engaged.  

One of the best times in our homeschooling day is when we all sit together and read books to ourselves.  (I also have read-aloud stories).  It is silent in the house, and we are cozy under blankets.  The tremendous amount of peace we all feel during that time is very therapeutic.  

Reading is probably the most effective thing you can have your child do, or do with your child.  If you are overwhelmed with this new task of homeschooling your child during this time and you still have to work, so time is limited, I suggest taking time to read with your child and explore with your child.  Just curling up with a good book, fiction or non-fiction, can expand their horizons and make them feel safe.  

Don't be too hard on yourself or your children.  It is an unfortunate gap in their public school curriculum, and an unfortunate circumstance with the pandemic, but it is not the defining sum total of their (or your) success.  Love.  Read.  Rest.  All will be well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...