It's only a matter of time. Be prepared.

From what I understand, Covid-19 is not going away.  It isn't going to just disappear forever once "this is over."  As a matter of possible fact, we're all probably going to get it at some point until the world starts building immunity towards it.

This possibility has me thinking about how to prepare my family.  Currently, we are utilizing the protective mandates issued by our governments:  social distancing, staying home, masking, disinfecting, hand washing.  But, as far as I can tell right now, this is just to avoid too many people being infected at once and not overwhelm the hospitals.  Also, it buys time for the medical community to develop treatments and perhaps a vaccine.

We've already had one exposure scare.  (Turns out it was the common flu.)  I've also noticed how we're all "on edge."  We're all sleeping a lot more, moody a lot more, in pain a lot more, brain foggy a lot more, lazy a lot more.  It's all part of the stress responses to this situation, but, unfortunately, that reduces immune system strength.

Therefore, I'm on a mission to ensure the health of my family the best I can.  Should the virus hit us, I want my family to be as healthy and strong as possible so we have a fighting chance.

Here are some measures I plan on taking:

1.  Holidays are over.  Greatly reduce the junk foods coming into the house.
2.  Increase fruits and vegetables.  I'm planting a big garden this year, too.
3.  Increase water intake.
4.  Replace at least half of my cups of coffee with tea, preferably health-boosting herbals.
5.  Get outside!!
6.  Exercise, particularly muscle relaxing and inflammation reducing like yoga (that's yoga with a lower case.  Due to personal religious beliefs, I don't practice Yoga, but I do believe the weight-bearing, strengthening, stretching exercises are very good).
7.  Sleep..good sleep, regular sleep
8.  Positivity.  I'm a melancholic, so this is hard for me, but I MUST be positive.
9.  Hugs.  Hugs reduce stress and boost healthy hormones.  This is why I believe a nurse with excellent bedside manners can better heal a patient than one who is just clinical.
10.  Take health and immune boosting supplements.  (Do your own research here.)

We've been in survival mode.  Between the isolation, navigating schooling at home, the exposure scare, and the horrid weather we keep having, it's been mostly "just get through the day" mode.  It'll be hard to jump-start thrival mode.  Aim for the moon, land among the stars.

Comments

Kim said…
Good suggestions!

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...